Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Tuesday, 17 February 2015 11:41
Author: Jo Garner
This morning at the FIA Queensland professional development event, ahead of the FIA Conference in Brisbane, we had the pleasure of hearing from the UK's Tom Latchford, one of the Conference Plenary speakers.
Aside from being amazed at all that Tom has achieved in his career in such a short timeframe, I was particularly interested in a very relevant extract he shared from a TED talk by Simon Sinek. In this presentation, Simon poses the question: what makes some leaders and organisations inspirational? Why do they stand out from the rest?
Because they talk about why they do what they do, and then back it up with the how and the what. The why is our purpose. It is the motivator for what and how.
Think about it; we ask people what they do all the time. But do we ever ask them why? And do they tell us?
So as Team SG prepares for an action-packed few days at the Conference, it's timely for us to reflect on why we do what we do.
It's simple really. We want charities to succeed in raising money for their cause. We want them to do things more efficiently and to be more effective in creating positive outcomes and impact.
And why do we want this? Because we are all passionate people who are committed to the betterment of society and want to help make a difference.
You can learn more about our how and what on the rest of our website, or by coming to visit us at Stand 6 in the FIA Conference exhibition hall.
In the meantime, remember: your donors want to know why you need their support, and you need to understand why they want to support you. This knowledge combination will enable you to effectively communicate with your donors in the most relevant way that inspires giving.
Recent blog posts
- The Conference that talks all things digital……Connecting Up ‘TRANSFORM’ 2019 23-May-2019
- Q&A with a Local Council client 16-May-2019
- Australia’s most generous Philanthropists – want to know who the Top 50 are? 10-May-2019
- Finger on the pulse – industry update from F&Ps’ 2019 Generosity Forum 07-May-2019
- Report: Outcomes Measurement in the Australian Community Sector 17-Apr-2019
- A snap shot from the Bolton Clarke Symposium - Social Connection in Older Age 10-Apr-2019
- The Australia Giving Report for 2019 - highlights, trends and key take-aways 02-Apr-2019
- 2019 Collins & Co Conference - Wrap Up 29-Mar-2019
- Capital Campaigns – fundraising at its finest! 14-Mar-2019
- 2019 FIA Conference – wrap up and revelations 07-Mar-2019