Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Tuesday, 02 April 2019 13:25
Author: Dr Karleen Gwinner
The Australia Giving 2019 report is out and features some cool giving trends by Australians last year. So that your not-for-profit can better understand and meet these giving needs here is a snapshot of the top five killer take-home penchants from the report.
68% of Australians give to charities because they CARE about the cause they are giving to and then, they want to HELP people less fortunate than themselves.
Like the rest of the world, Australian donors share a global preference firstly to supporting children (orphans, seriously ill children, children with disabilities), secondly to help the poor, medical research in third and in fourth place (in equal position) giving to aid homelessness and disability.
Debunking the myth that the younger generations are only concerned with themselves, 25 to 34-year-olds were the most likely to give money to support their cause in the last 12 months.
The good news is that Australians believe that charities have a positive influence on their local community and also on Australia as a whole. Transparency in the sector and knowing that the sector is well regulated are joint reasons why people trust in charities and might give more in the coming year.
The sound of kerr-ching ($$) is still the most popular way to give. Australians give using cash, closely followed by giving online with a bank/credit card, and by popping donations in boxes in shops or other public places.
In my opinion, providing more opportunities for community members to give to your charity will help it achieve its mission, and ultimately, allow Australia to function as a better society. At the end of the day, it’s all about adding value to each other.
“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value” - Albert Einstein
Recent blog posts
- The common ground of grant-seeking between Australia and Europe 21-Jun-2019
- Evaluation – The key to learning and improving practice is asking powerful questions 14-Jun-2019
- Revamping the ACNC website and what it means for your organisation 31-May-2019
- The Conference that talks all things digital……Connecting Up ‘TRANSFORM’ 2019 23-May-2019
- Q&A with a Local Council client 16-May-2019
- Australia’s most generous Philanthropists – want to know who the Top 50 are? 10-May-2019
- Finger on the pulse – industry update from F&Ps’ 2019 Generosity Forum 07-May-2019
- Report: Outcomes Measurement in the Australian Community Sector 17-Apr-2019
- A snap shot from the Bolton Clarke Symposium - Social Connection in Older Age 10-Apr-2019
- The Australia Giving Report for 2019 - highlights, trends and key take-aways 02-Apr-2019