Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
- Published: Friday, 28 September 2018 14:52
Author: Nancy Vaughan
A Play List for the Philanthropy Australia Conference 2018
I was fortunate to be an attendee at the 2018 Philanthropy Australia conference held earlier this month. Keynote speakers, panel discussions and break-out sessions all provided rich and diverse content. Across the presentations, were threaded a set of strong and consistent messages that are applicable to both grant-seekers and grant-makers.
I have enlisted the assistance of the best synthesisers ever 'To Cut a Long Story Short' (courtesy of Spandau Ballet) and capture these sparkling threads in an '80s Play List.... so throw on a puffy shirt, get your big hair happening and warm up those air-synthesiser moves!
Planet Earth - Duran Duran
Larry Kramer, President of the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, pulled us up to the space-shuttle view of philanthropy by declaring there are two over-arching priorities for philanthropy at the global scale: The decline of liberal democracy and climate change.
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears
Maybe some of us do ... but conference presenters reminded us that we're all here for the same reason: to make the world a better place. Neither grant-maker nor grant-seeker is more important than the other. We must get past 'silo' thinking and get on with finding the people and organisations that are passionate about our mission and share our objectives and find a way to work together.
Together in Electric Dreams - The Human League
I went and saw Human League at the Palais in St Kilda in '83 but that's a story for another blog. We need to get much better at working together. Actually, it was the Hon Jeff Kennet AC who said something akin to this at the conference. He didn't mention the electric dreams part but you get the gist. Many presenters emphasised we need to work together to truly maximise impact and make the best use of the somewhat limited resources out there.
- Respect, consult and involve your beneficiaries and the communities you work with in the work you do.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with individuals and departments within your organisation.
- Grant-seekers and grant-makers need to work more closely together - instead of treating each other as either ATMs or contractors.
- Work with other organisations in your sector and region to harness real power and deliver maximum impact.
Blue Monday - New Order
A new order is in play. Presenters at the conference consistently declared how vital it is to collect and share information about the outcomes and impacts of both funded programs as well as funder's grant-making programs. What difference did your project or program make? What difference are you making as a funder? Are you achieving your objectives and delivering on your promises? If you don't have a rock-solid monitoring and evaluation framework in place and if you aren't measuring your outcomes then you need to start. Now.
Video Killed the Radio Star - Buggles
Don't become a dinosaur (or a radio star). In a world of lightning-fast global 'news' delivery, pre-pubescent social media-influencers, and an increasingly cynical and cranky public, it is more important than ever to ensure the work of your organisation is transparent and that it is demonstrably aligned with your mission and objectives. Steve Spurr, CEO of Edelman Australia, reported that only 49% of people (down from 58% in 2017) surveyed in the '2018 Edelman Trust Barometer' stated they trust NGOs. Yikes!
And for your musical pleasure.....YouTube links to the above Play List
Recent blog posts
- The Conference that talks all things digital……Connecting Up ‘TRANSFORM’ 2019 23-May-2019
- Q&A with a Local Council client 16-May-2019
- Australia’s most generous Philanthropists – want to know who the Top 50 are? 10-May-2019
- Finger on the pulse – industry update from F&Ps’ 2019 Generosity Forum 07-May-2019
- Report: Outcomes Measurement in the Australian Community Sector 17-Apr-2019
- A snap shot from the Bolton Clarke Symposium - Social Connection in Older Age 10-Apr-2019
- The Australia Giving Report for 2019 - highlights, trends and key take-aways 02-Apr-2019
- 2019 Collins & Co Conference - Wrap Up 29-Mar-2019
- Capital Campaigns – fundraising at its finest! 14-Mar-2019
- 2019 FIA Conference – wrap up and revelations 07-Mar-2019