Grant strategies to build nonprofit capacity
Volunteer Management is a broad topic and outside of grant-seeking, is one of my passions and areas of expertise. There are a bunch of things about Volunteer Management which don't necessarily resonate in our work (Grants Strategy) but one key message strongly aligns when considering stakeholder engagement - in specific, what to do and what not to do, to establish and nurture a relationship.
Whether you are building a best practice grant-seeking program or working with volunteers, three simple things can make all the difference:
1. Thank without expectation or a call to action
2. Let them know what they did for your cause and how it makes a difference (specifically!)
3. Genuinely ask for, and respond to, feedback
It isn't rocket science, but we so often hear from Funders, such as Greater Charitable Foundation CEO Anne Long who was a guest at our FIA Masterclass, that grant recipients miss one or more of these steps. Remember, funders are people too!
So, take the time, tell those who have invested in you how they have made a difference and nourish those critical relationships. You never know where it might lead......
JBWere's Support Report: the changing shape of giving and the significant implications for recipients is now available to download from the JBWere website. Authored by John McLeod, the Support Report is crucial reading for all organisations seeking a deeper understanding of current and projected giving trends and how their organisation may be affected.
Put this report at the top of your reading list for May!
"The opportunity to gain market share appears to be led by Universities, medical research, arts and culture and perhaps environment. International aid already enjoys a large share of giving but given its donor base, maintenance of that share would be a good result." (Support Report, 2018)
Subscribe to receive Strategic Grants news and updates
Recent blog posts
- Brilliant videos and podcasts for fundraisers 12-Dec-2018
- Grants Advent Calendar 30-Nov-2018
- Tips for completing a strong application - Perpetual Trustees IMPACT Philanthropy Application Program 13-Nov-2018
- International Fundraising Congress 2018: What a buzz 06-Nov-2018
- Top tips from the NACRO Conference 2018 - it's not just about recycling! 30-Oct-2018
- Reaching the Ultimate Grants KPI: When Funders Approach You! 29-Aug-2018
- It’s ALIVE! Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks 24-Aug-2018
- Where data goes to die..... 09-Aug-2018
- #CouchChats Evaluation Vlog 31-Jul-2018